How to Make It BIG as an A-List Financial Copywriter
In my previous posts, I talked about breaking into the financial copywriting business, in which you are selling investment newsletters and trading advisories. I also talked about the kind of money you could make, and a few of the techniques I used to make it BIG as a financial copywriter.
I also explained that selling investment advice is like walking your reader down the Yellow Brick Road to meet the Wizard, who, of course, is going to make them rich.
If you missed those messages, you can find them here.
In today’s message, I would like to share with you my secret to writing twice as many million-dollar promotions as other writers in half the time.
This is why I have been hired by every major financial publisher over the past 30 years, including Agora, Boardroom, Cabot Heritage Corporation, Eagle Financial Publications, Forbes, KCI Communications, InvestorPlace, Lombardi Publishing, NewsMax and Weiss Research, just to name a few.
The reason I can knock out so many promotions is simple:
I don’t try to reinvent the wheel with every promotion, which so many writers do.
REMEMBER: With each promotion you write you are always selling the golden dream.
As a result….
- You will always have a money/benefit headline.
- You will always have a subhead that peaks the readers’ interest
- You will always introduce an investment advisor
- You will always talk about the track record
- You will always paint the picture of wealth and riches
- You will always ask for the order to close the sale.
It’s the same thing over and over.
Once I understood this, I created a mental data bank of time-proven selling ideas, concepts, arguments, transitions, and offers that I could integrate these ideas into each and every promotion.
That became one of my biggest advantages. Because I have been involved in hundreds of marketing campaigns, I knew what words, arguments, phrases, and offers worked and which ones didn’t. As a result, I could write twice as many winners in half the time.
I simply tapped into my formula and, I hate to say it, the promotion practically wrote itself.
My formula allowed me to take any idea and quickly write a marketing promotion around it, or put a new lead on an old promo–giving it what I would call a vitamin booster shot to boost its response.
All by simply tapping into my data bank of winning ideas, concepts, arguments, and promotions.
Here are three examples that contain Million-Dollar Copywriting Formula. If you can apply it, you may never reinvent the wheel again.
Take a look at each headline.
- Has Wall Street Finally Had it?
- Boom or Bust Ahead for Technology Stocks?
- Why Stocks May Collapse Without Warning?
While each one talks about different things, they all share the same organizational structure.
That structure is this: Something is going to happen, the body copy then explains what that is, and then it connects the dots to the solution.
This formula stretches right down the transitions you use to take your reader to the order form.
Over the years, I have identified dozens of EASY transitions that automatically help you create an organized sales flow that keeps your reader reading and your copy selling…
A few examples:
- The reason is simple…
- As my readers will tell you…
- As you’ll see..
- And that’s just the tip of the iceberg…
- When you add everything up…
- A golden opportunity you simply can’t ignore…
This is why I never had to reinvent the wheel on every project. The structure was there. I only needed to put in the new content and then connect the dots to the new investment advisor.
During my one-on-one coaching I can show you how to do that, too:
Tap into the same winning selling ideas, concepts, arguments, transitions, and offers I discovered long ago that can make your copy more effective and you a much more successful and faster writer.
It is precisely this kind of organization structure that allows me to write twice as many million-dollar marketing campaigns as most writers in a fraction of the time.
Please keep this in mind:
The faster you can knock out a profitable marketing campaign, the faster you can knock out a second and a third one. The more you have out there, the more money you will make.
Black-and-White Proof That It Works
You need only look at my clients and controls over the past 30 years to see what I am saying is true. There’s…
- Aftershock Report
- Asia Edge
- Blue Chip Growth
- Cabot Dividend Investor
- Cabot Growth Investor
- Cabot Options Trader
- Cabot Small Cap Confidential
- Cabot Stock of the Week
- Cabot Top Ten Trader
- Cabot Marijuana Investor
- Cash Machine
- Charles Payne’s Smart Investing
- China Strategy
- Emerging Growth
- Forbes Dividend Investor
- Forbes Gilder Technology Report
- Forbes Nanotech Report
- Forbes Oberweis Report
- Forbes Wireless Outlook
- Forecasts and Strategies
- Global Growth
- Health & Healing
- High Profit Stocks
- High Yield Investing
- Hilary Kramer’s Absolute Capital Return
- Hilary Kramer’s Game Changers
- Hilary Kramer’s Value Authority
- Hilary Kramer’s 2-Day Trader
- Hume Money Files
- Investor Alert
- Investors’ World
- Matt McCall’s Investment Opportunities
- Money Map Press
- Natural Prescriptions for Women
- New Mineral Cures
- New Science of Getting What You Want
- Next Generation of Natural Cures
- Personal Finance
- Platinum Growth
- Prevention Health Books
- Private Stock Briefing
- Profitable Investing
- Quantum Growth
- Quantum Wealth System
- Real Wealth Report
- Recurring Riches
- Retirement Letter
- Scarcity & Real Wealth
- Secret Vitamin Cures That Work
- Smart Money with the Dolans
- Street Authority
- Tech Investing
- The Complete Investor
- Trader’s Advantage
- 24-Hour Cash Flow Miracle
- The Ultimate License to Print Money
- Utility Forecaster
- Wall Street’s Best Dividend Stocks
- Wall Street’s Best Investments
That is what publishers and clients look for when they hire you–a consistent string of winning marketing campaigns. That is what I have delivered over and over again during the past 30 years.
This is why many publishers have wished they could have a second Doug D’Anna around, because few writers can deliver copy as quickly and cleanly as I can–let alone write a coherent copy package that sells and deliver it on time.
I don’t mention this to brag but only to confirm the power of the Million-Dollar Copywriting Formula I employ to produce winning sales promotions.
If you would like my coaching…
I will show you how to fuse together the best ideas from the best promotions in order to create something exciting and new for your promotions.
Working together, one-on-one, via the online conferencing application Zoom.
You will learn, as I did, the old-school way: by listening, taking notes, talking things out, and writing and rewriting, until you get it right.
Here’s a Sneak Preview of What You Will Learn
As your copywriting coach, I will:
- Walk you through a series of my winning promotions
- Show you how to create powerful leads
- Transition through the body copy
- Layer the benefits and the specifics
- Fuse all the ideas in a new way for a promotion you may be working on
All one-on-one via our weekly Zoom sessions.
You’ll also get an inside look at a number of tested and refined key principles of copywriting that have yielded exceptional results that I affectionately call:
- The Cookie and the Dog
- The Stairway to Heaven
- The Beatles
- The Jackson 5
- The Trojan Horse
- The McGyver, and
- My fishes-and-loaves approach to writing copy
Plus I will show you how to develop a solid, winning marketing partnership with your clients that can pay off like a series of no. 1 hit records—complete with hundreds of thousands of dollars in recurring royalties in your pocket.
Sad truth is, most copywriters work 60 hours (or more) a week to get paid once every two weeks.
With my Million-Dollar Copywriting Formula guiding your career, you’ll be able to turn that concept upside down.
You’ll work once and then get paid over and over again, as I do, just like The Beatles, Rolling Stones and your other favorite bands.
In fact, I have one old client that still sends me $800 – $1200 a month for something that I wrote over 10 years ago!
You got to love that… I certainly do!
I’ll tell you how you can do it too.
Also, as part of your training, you’ll receive a FREE copy of my six-part How to Sell Yourself as a Copywriter PDFs…
…which are included in my $3,500 “How to Sell Yourself as a Copywriter” coaching course.
I want you to have these PDFs because learning to write copy is one thing, learning to sell yourself is something else. I don’t want to see all the good work we do together going nowhere if you aren’t getting the work you want.
That’s why I’m including all six PDFs from my $3,500 series.
You’ll find that it’s an old-school approach that helps you generate interest the old-fashioned way–by direct mail, email, and phone.
If you follow the simple path you’ll find in your FREE guides, you will learn…
- How to position yourself as a seasoned professional. You will never again pitch anybody with a KILLER SALES LETTER and POWERFUL SALES COPY or ever say things like “Hire me.” This does not work. I will teach you in the first five minutes what to say and what not to say. Trust me when I tell you this.
- How to identify the people who will value YOU. I’ll explain why you must avoid the people who are looking for just another copywriter. If they are looking for copy at a price, then they are price shoppers. You want to work for people who value you and the special something that you bring to the table. Your guide will show you how to farm for and groom them.
- How to get your clients to say yes. What nobody ever teaches you is what to say to prospective clients so that they will open their minds and listen to you. If you continue to say the wrong things, you will continue to be locked out of business that could easily be yours. In your FREE guide, you’ll learn how to fashion a professional sales pitch that not only reflects your special personality but gets results.
- How to answer their objections. Truth is, you are going to always come up against people who are happy with their current copywriter, don’t think you can do the job, or are unwilling to pay your price. If all you can say to their objections is “OK,” then you will never get the work. When you follow my lead, you’ll learn to take their objections like a judo master and use their force to keep their minds open to giving you a try
- The right method to use to get clients interested. You’ll learn why you should never pitch yourself, but an idea that will make your clients money. In your guide you will find a short three-to-four-paragraph letter that will increase your chances of not only getting a return phone call, but also opening them up to receive your call.
- The right way to follow up. Most copywriters simply follow up the wrong way. Believe it or not, when you return somebody’s call in two weeks, it’s like 20 minutes to them. Call a week later, and it’s as if they just hung up the phone and you called right back. Your guide will show you the right pacing you need to return calls professionally. Otherwise, you will turn off people who would have hired you if only you had some patience.
- How to stand head and shoulders above the competition. Look–99 out of 100 people fresh out of copywriting boot camp are going after the same people you are. If you aren’t doing anything different, you will be perceived just as they are. There is a reason I command a writing fee of $25,000 plus recurring royalties worth 10 times that amount. You will learn this secret.
So in about 60 minutes a week, you’ll learn my Million-Dollar Copywriting Formula and the best ways to find and pitch work along with a heavy dose of motivation that will keep you moving relentlessly forward in the pursuit of your goals.
That’s the whole reason I’m launching this program: to give back to the industry that has been so good to me.
My coaching program is my way of doing just that–the old-school way–like the way I learned:
Working one-on-one with a master copywriter/marketer who can take you by the hand and show you how to fuse together the winningest thoughts, ideas, and offers across countless promotions and then fuse them into your next winning sales letter, email, or video sales letter.
My goal is for you to emblazon that knowledge in your mind like a cowboy brands a steer so you have it for life.
Up-and-coming superstar copywriter Kevin Dawson would agree…
“Doug’s secrets will revolutionize your copy skills. They will make your confidence and income soar while you shatter the 6-figure barrier, and take your place within the small group of the A-list copywriters.”
If you are at all considering a career in copywriting, I do hope you choose a career as a financial copywriter. You’ll never again have to sit in some office cubby writing meaningless brochures or flyers for people who don’t appreciate your talent.
You’ll be working with the country’s top financial publishers, who will pay you a king’s ransom in fees and royalties to produce winners. If you can sell the golden dream as I have, you will be golden too.
If the idea of making it BIG as a financial copywriter appeals to you, click here to learn more about my program.
All good wishes,
Doug D’Anna, Copywriter and Creator of